Mobile use has been growing significantly in recent years and will certainly keep on this track. Consumers are watching online video on their mobile devices as one of their favorite forms of content.
And this takes us to the next point: video content, such as animated explainer videos, can help you turn your website mobile-friendly and ensure a great user experience. Let´s understand how videos adapt to this mobile-friendly trend and learn how you should use them on such a requested channel.
TO START…HERE ARE SOME FIGURES
- As of 2015, worldwide mobile phone internet user penetration was 52.7%. In 2017, figures suggest that more than 63.4%of mobile phone users will access online content through their devices. (Source: Statista)
- Traffic from wireless and mobile devices will exceed traffic from wired devices by 2019. By 2019, wired devices will account for 33 percent of IP traffic, while Wi-Fi and mobile devices will account for 66 percent of IP traffic. In 2014, wired devices accounted for the majority of IP traffic at 54 percent. (Source: Cisco)
- Globally, mobile data traffic will increase 10-fold between 2014 and 2019. (Source: Cisco)
- Global mobile data traffic will grow three times faster than fixed IP traffic from 2014 to 2019. (Source: Cisco)
Now, talking about videos specifically:
- Nearly three-fourths of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video by 2019. Mobile video will increase 13-fold between 2014 and 2019, accounting for 72 percent of total mobile data traffic by the end of the forecast period. (Source: Cisco)
- Mobile video will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 66% between 2014 and 2019, accounting for the highest rate of growth across any other mobile application category, excluding M2M traffic. (Source: Cisco)
- Video streaming (Internet video apps such as YouTube or Netflix) will account for 90% of total mobile data traffic by 2019 (compared to 81% by Q4 2014), and is on target to grow 11-fold in the next 4 years. (Source: Cisco)
Optimizing video content for mobile devices will then be your only choice if you want to survive in this fast-paced and challenging business world.
GOING MOBILE FRIENDLY
So, if you´re thinking about developing an animated marketing video to approach your mobile audience, there are some considerations you should bear in mind to get the most out of it.
1. KEEP IT BRIEF
Don´t make your video too long. The number of users who watch videos from beginning to end start to decline for videos longer than 30 seconds and drop drastically for videos over 2 minutes. For an animated explainer video, for instance, at Yum Yum Videos we always recommend to aim for 90-second videos. However, for mobile devices maybe it´s better to go to a 30 or 60-second video.
2. CHOOSE A GOOD HOSTING SITE
Although almost every hosting site is responsive nowadays, not everyone offers the same benefits for your videos. YouTube and Vimeo, for instance, can work as a great “shop window to the world” to reach your audience, but at the same time you´ll have strong competitors. On the other side, services such as Wistia or Vidyard offer great additional video analytics and customizable players (for which you´ll have to pay extra fees) and don´t offer the same visibility as YouTube or Vimeo.
3. MAKE IT SHAREABLE
If you make it simple for your audience to share your mobile video, you´ll see great benefits, such as better CTRs and more conversions. Place your social media links right above or under your embedded video so it can be easily shared!
If you want to learn more about what mobile users look for in an animated marketing video, check out this article. Also, there are some questions you can ask yourself to check if your marketing video is mobile friendly. Read this blog post and learn more! You can also visit our Marketing Video Academy where you´ll find useful tips and information on explainer video production.