Think about the amazing benefits of providing your target audience with a type of content they really love (video), and do it through one of their favorite devices (smartphones).
Sounds great, right? It’s like the perfect mix.
The use of smartphones and tablets has grown dramatically since the last few years. Hence, mobile marketing is gaining more ground. And, in this sense, mobile video can be a strong asset you can (and should) make use of to take your marketing strategy to the next level.
In today's blog post, we'd like to share with you some key stats revealed by Google, which will give you a general picture on why it is so important to optimize your videos for mobile. But there's more: we'll also give you some other background information so that you can adapt video content to mobile devices. Enjoy this reading!
Google's Study: How People Use Mobile Screens
To start, let's go deeper into people's watching habits. Google partnered with Flamingo and Ipsos Connect, and carried out a study in which they analyze how people watch videos and where. Let me share with you some key information so that you can get a closer approach to the overall mobile video landscape.
- They found out that people tend to use different types of screens (TV, desktop, mobile) for different reasons, including the type of content. Talking about mobile video specifically, here's one of the key findings: people prefer to watch beauty, fashion, entertainment, and pop culture videos from their smartphones. For instance, Jim in New York says: "The day after the Oscars, I watched a 'top moments from last night' kind of video on my way to work”. Veronica in Chicago comments: "I like watching beauty videos by bloggers on my phone when I'm putting on my own makeup. It's kind of like talking to a friend when I'm getting ready."
More Stats On Mobile Video
Complementary to Google's study, we thought it would be useful for you to check out this data:
- - According to a recent study, 1 in 3 adults between the ages of 18 and 54 use their smartphone as their primary device for watching online videos.
- - Half of YouTube users who watch YouTube videos on their smartphones, watch while they are at home.
Pretty noteworthy, right? Mobile video is gaining ground in different age groups. Even more interesting is the fact that many people use their smartphones to watch online videos… while at home!
Seriously…by now you should be optimizing your videos for mobile devices so that your viewers can have an outstanding experience.
Adapting Video Content To Mobile Devices
How can you get the most out of your mobile video content? Consider implementing these suggestions…
- - Briefness: mobile users don't have much time to spend. They love brief and valuable content. When making a video for mobile, remember this premise and keep it short!
- - Engagement: always try to make an engaging video that connects with your audience, ideally on an emotional level. Make sure you focus on their interests and needs.
- - Micro-moments: mobile video is a great alternative to take advantage of micro-moments, in order to provide your audience with specific content, at the right time and in the right place.
- - Sharing: make sure your mobile video content is attractive and catchy enough so as to encourage viewers to share it on social media platforms. This will expand your reach dramatically.
Would you like to go deeper into video mobile optimization? Read this article and get some extra tips!
We also invite you to keep on surfing our blog for the latest trends on video marketing.