You've probably heard about both of them, YouTube and Wistia are some of the most popular video hosting services out here on the Internet. But maybe you haven't made up your mind on which one you should choose for your business. Guess what? In this blog post we'll go over the main features and pros and cons of each one. You'll love it. Join us!
Choosing The Right Video Hosting Platform
Not a minor thing at all. Keep in mind that your decision will have a strong impact on the visibility and reach of your videos. And hey... you've invested time, energy and money to develop them, so take a few minutes to analyze where you should host them!
In this article, we share with you some of the most important reasons why picking out the right video hosting service is a key decision.
Today's Stars: YouTube And Wistia
Let's do a quick comparison between both and analyze what they have to offer.
If we think about YouTube, we think about a powerful search engine and a huge social network with a great reach potential. YouTube is not only a video hosting platform! Keep that in mind.
- YouTube is the second most popular search engine, behind its daddy, Google. Consequently, it ranks well on Google, especially under keywords containing the word “video”. BUT, remember that the traffic goes to their platform, not to your site.
- YouTube is also the #3 largest social network on the Internet. It has a huge built-in community.
- Who doesn't know YouTube? Not only that, YouTube is top of mind when someone is asked about the leading video hosting platform.
- Simple... and free! YouTube is free to use, no payments at all, and as part of the “combo”, is very easy to set up and to use.
- YouTube can be a social network, as we said… but it's not a business network. This means that you'll have to adapt to YouTube's look and feel and you won't be able to customize your video according to your brand guidelines.
- YouTube’s analytics tools are not as robust as Wistia's, for instance.
Wistia is a “pure” video hosting service, not a social network or search engine at all. But it also has some other unique features that make it stand out from the crowd.
- Great interface, simple, clean and very easy to use.
- Wistia also offers fantastic branding options. You can easily customize the look and feel of your video to make it blend with your page.
- The traffic is yours! It goes to the page of your video, not to a third party hosting site.
- It gives you the possibility to add social buttons, clickable Calls To Action, and gates (“gating” is about implementing some “conditions” for viewers to keep on watching the video)
- Wistia has a robust video analytics dashboard, that provides you with key information about how your videos are performing.
- Cost! The free plan gives you space for only 5 videos. After that, pricing ranges from $25 to $300 per month.
- Unfortunately, the content on Wistia is not “searchable” and can be seen only by those who have access to it.
So... You Should Go With…
Don't get too thrilled, because there's no “right” or “wrong” answer! What we always recommend is that you use both, since they complement each other perfectly (well and you can compensate the flaws of one with the advantages of the other). Without going any further, that's what we do at Yum Yum :)